Berrick Salome, Oxfordshire

About Berrick Salome, Oxfordshire

Berrick Salome is a village and civil parish in South Oxfordshire, England, about 3mi north of Wallingford. Since the 1993 boundary changes, the parish has included the whole of Roke and Rokemarsh (previously largely in the parish of Benson) and Berrick Prior (previously part of the parish of Newington). The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 326. In 1965, Reginald Ernest Moreau (1897–1970), an eminent ornithologist, and a Berrick Salome resident from 1947, realized that he could build up a picture of the village as it had been in the decades before the First World War, based on the recollections of elderly villagers. His study, which was published in 1968 as The Departed Village: Berrick Salome at the Turn of the Century, also included an introduction to local history. This provided much of the information for "A Village History" which appeared in The Berrick and Roke Millennium Book and is the major source for this article. ToponymBerewic is Old English for "barley farm" and Salome is from the surname "Sulham". In the 13th century, Aymar de Sulham held the manor; There is a Britwell Salome about 3mi to the east, and Sulham is a parish in Berkshire on the River Thames near Reading. Liam Tiller gives early versions of the name as Berewiche (1086) and Berewick (1210, 1258). Moreau quotes later versions found in The Place-names of Oxfordshire, as Berrick Sullame (1571), Berwick Sallome (1737, 1797), and, by the time of the 1863 Inclosure Award, Berrick Salome. In fact, the modern spelling can be found much earlier: the 1830 OS one inch map, reproduced in Ditmas, shows Berwick Salome, though in a smaller typeface than Berwick Prior.

Berrick Salome, Oxfordshire Description

Berrick Salome is a village and civil parish in South Oxfordshire, England, about 3mi north of Wallingford. Since the 1993 boundary changes, the parish has included the whole of Roke and Rokemarsh (previously largely in the parish of Benson) and Berrick Prior (previously part of the parish of Newington). The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 326. In 1965, Reginald Ernest Moreau (1897–1970), an eminent ornithologist, and a Berrick Salome resident from 1947, realized that he could build up a picture of the village as it had been in the decades before the First World War, based on the recollections of elderly villagers. His study, which was published in 1968 as The Departed Village: Berrick Salome at the Turn of the Century, also included an introduction to local history. This provided much of the information for "A Village History" which appeared in The Berrick and Roke Millennium Book and is the major source for this article. ToponymBerewic is Old English for "barley farm" and Salome is from the surname "Sulham". In the 13th century, Aymar de Sulham held the manor; There is a Britwell Salome about 3mi to the east, and Sulham is a parish in Berkshire on the River Thames near Reading. Liam Tiller gives early versions of the name as Berewiche (1086) and Berewick (1210, 1258). Moreau quotes later versions found in The Place-names of Oxfordshire, as Berrick Sullame (1571), Berwick Sallome (1737, 1797), and, by the time of the 1863 Inclosure Award, Berrick Salome. In fact, the modern spelling can be found much earlier: the 1830 OS one inch map, reproduced in Ditmas, shows Berwick Salome, though in a smaller typeface than Berwick Prior.

More about Berrick Salome, Oxfordshire

Berrick Salome, Oxfordshire is located at Berrick Salome, Oxfordshire

Similar Listings

Thatcham
Thatcham
3.5 star rating
Winslow
4.5 star rating
Maidenhead
4.5 star rating
Whitstable
Whitstable
4.5 star rating